1/1 Photo of Fish Tagine With Olives (Moroccan Stew)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Here is another wonderful recipe for all you tagine lovers. This one is to be prepared in a cooking tagine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- paprika, to sprinkle on the potatoes
- 2 small potatoes, peeled & cut into strips
- 3 -4 white fish fillets, boneless (I used tilapia fillets)
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix (Ras El Hanout - Moroccan Spice Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup green olives, cracked (pitted, preferably)
- 1/2 preserved lemon, sliced with the flesh (Moroccan Spiced Preserved Lemons)
- 1Peel the potatoes & cut them into strips, about the size of a large french fry. Put them into a bowl & rinse. Then sprinkle paprika over the potatoes, turning them several times to make sure they are all covered.
- 2Place the tomato sauce, olive oil, water, tomato, onions, & spices in a medium or large tagine. Stir to mix all the ingredients, then lay the potatoes on top of the sauce. Cover & cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 3While the potatoes are cooking, mix the ingredients of the charmoula in a small bowl. Place the fillets into a shallow bowl or dish, pour half the mixture over top of the fish & let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- 4Boil the olives in a small sauce pan of water for 5 minutes to remove their bitterness. Once done, drain the water & stir the rest of the charmoula in with the olives, set aside to be used later.
- 5Stir the sauce in the tagine then place the fish fillets on top of the potatoes. Scatter the lemon & olives on the fish & pour all the remaining charmoula over the fish.
- 6Cover the tagine & continue to cook on low heat for another hour. The tagine is done once the potatoes are tender.
- 7Serve in the tagine with thick bread to scoop up the sauce & fish. Make sure you protect your table because the tagine will stay hot for a time.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Tagine With Olives (Moroccan Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.0
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 1483.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 21.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix