Recipe by Sharon123
A lovely medley of apricots, apples, and dates! Adapted from Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking. New England, Mid Atlantic, Canada, Mid West, West, Eastern European, Scandinavian catagories
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Absolutely loved this pie! Used Pipin apples & Medjool dates, & in combination with the apricots, the flavor was wonderful! Definitely a pie I'll be making again! Thanks so much for this great, easy-to-make recipe!
- 1 homemade pastry for double-crust pie (or store bought frozen roll out pastry)
- 1 (17 ounce) can apricot halves, drained, reserving liquid
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups tart apples, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pastry for a two crust pie or use store bought rollout pie pastry.
- Heat your oven to 425*F. In a large saucepan, combine reserved apricot liquid, sugar, cornstarch, apples, dates and lemon juice. You may sprinkle the nutmeg over the top now, if desired. Cover; cook gently until apples are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from hea and fold in apricot halves. Spoon this mixture into pastry lined pie pan.
- To make a decorative top crust, use canape(or small cookie) cutter(1") to cut out center of dough. Repeat cutouts in an evenly spaced pattern, working from center to within 1 1/2" of edge. Arrange pastry over filling. Fold the edge of the top pastry under bottom pastry. Press together to seal; flute edge.
- Bake at 425*F. for 25 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles. Enjoy!