Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Grilling the tomatoes, green chilies and jalapenos gives this salsa an outdoors flavor to match the flavor of my Marinated Grilled Beef Fajitas, Marinated Grilled Beef Fajitas or just served with some crisp tortilla chips. Add more green chilies and jalapenos if desired for a hotter taste.
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large green chili pepper
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thick slices
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head garlic
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off the garlic head and brush with olive oil; wrap in foil.
- Lightly oil grill rack.
- Place garlic, onion slices (brushed with olive oil) tomatoes, green chili and jalapeno on hot oiled grill rack; grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until onion and tomatoes begin to char and soften and pepper skins are charred and blistered, turning occasionally.
- Transfer vegetables to a cutting board, and wrap peppers in foil to steam until cool enough to handle.
- Remove skin, stems, and seeds from the peppers; discard.
- Finely chop the peppers.
- Chop the tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Combine peppers, tomatoes and any juices, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt in a bowl.
- If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
YUM! Karen, you are THE cook! I confess, after trying YOUR tamales with accompanying chili sauce, I looked for your name today looking for a salsa recipe! I was not disappointed. Thank you! I made a 2-jap salsa, and my husband and I LOVED it. I should have stuck with one jap for the kids, though. I guess I'll need to make it again tomorrow... 8~D
Oh, girlfriend... you nailed it! I subbed yellow onion for red and omitted the jalapeno (my tongue's a wuss) and blended it all in my new Magic Bullet to a medium consistency. Fantastic! Thanks so much for a great recipe and technique! -Sandi