Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Maggie Hennessey's book A taste of West Virgina: A book of favorite recipes. So many people were requesting recipes for canning cherry tomatoes that when I found this I wanted to share it. Let me know how it comes out-I think it looks very tasty.
- 14 lbs small green cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 hot red peppers
- 4 heads dill
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- Pack 3 1/2 pounds of cherry tomatoes in each of the clean, hot jars.
- To each quart jar add a clove of garlic, a celery stalk, a hot red pepper, and a head of dill.
- Combine water, pickling salt and vinegar.
- Fill jars to 1/2 inch head space from top.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Makes 4 quarts.
The Fire Balls are wonderful. What a great way to use up those green tomatoes at the end of the season.I will definately be making more of them next year & the recipe is being passed on to my friends who think they are wonderful too.GOOD JOB.
Have been giving away jars of these like wildfire-everybody wants one, even the ones who don't like tomatoes. Can't keep up production!!
These are great! I didn't expect to enjoy them as much as I do, since the texture is quite a bit softer than most of my preferred pickles. However, when eaten as a side to fish, meat, or a cheese tray - rather than out of hand - they're wonderful. I'll be making these again next season. Thanks for the recipe!