Recipe by Nana Lee
This is something quite different than your ordinary relish. Time to dig out that Vidalia Onion Dicer! ;) Chill time not included. If you want to preserve it, SEE NOTE BELOW
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄4 large onion
- 1⁄2 cucumber
Directions See How It's Made
- Place marinade ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before using.
- Time to use that Vidalia Onion Dicer! ;).
- Remove stem/core of tomatoes, then peel(optional).
- Chop tomato into small pieces.
- Cut onion into 1/8 inch dice.
- Add tomato and onion pieces to chilled marinade.
- Cover relish but stir it gently several times.
- Peel cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, slice thinly, and set aside.
- Keep cucumber pieces separate but refrigerated.
- At serving time:
- Add cucumber slices.
- This relish will keep for several weeks if it is covered and refrigerated.
- If you wish to preserve it just heat to boiling(without the cucumber slices), pour into hot sterilized jars and process.