1/1 Photo of Finnish Yellow Turnip (Swede or Rutabaga) Bake
Posted on Chatelaine website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium yellow turnips or 2 medium rutabagas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk, preferably homogenized or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1Peel& cube turnip.
- 2You should have at least 9 cups.
- 3Place in a large saucepan& cover with water.
- 4Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Cover& reduce heat so water gently bubbles.
- 6Cook until tender, from 25-30 minutes.
- 7Then drain.
- 8Using potato masher or electric mixer, mash turnip.
- 9Stir in 2 tbsp butter until melted, then mix in milk.
- 10Stil 1/2 cup bread crumbs with sugars& seasonings.
- 11Stir into turnip.
- 12If baking right away, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 13BUtter a 9x13" baking dish or coat with cooking spray.
- 14Spread turnip evenly in pan and run fork over top to create a rough appearance.
- 15Sprinkle with 2 tbsp bread crumbs& drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter.
- 16Bake uncovered in centre of oven until centre is hot& crumbs are golden-tipped- about 45 minutes.
- 17Serve right away with roast turkey, chicken, pork or beef.
- 18Note: To make ahead, prepare completely.
- 19Do not bake.
- 20Cover& refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 21A cold casserole may need 55-60 minutes baking time.
- 22If frozen, turnip's texture may soften& water out.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finnish Yellow Turnip (Swede or Rutabaga) Bake
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.0
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 31.4 mg
- Sodium 880.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g