Comfort food Filipino style! This is one of my husband's favourite Filipino dishes. I make this in big batches because it freezes well, and it tastes better the longer you keep it. It can stay for up to 2 weeks in the freezer. This can also be cooked in a slow cooker like the usual slow cooker stew.
- 1 kg pork tenderloin, cubed
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 500 ml tomato sauce
- 100 g liver spread (originally, we use fresh pork liver but since it's very difficult to find a good liver, I substitute)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 50 g grated romano cheese (Parmesan is also good)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Sprite (Yes, Sprite.)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, only
- ground black pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Divide the marinade in halves. Save half. Add pork cubes on the other half with the bay leaf and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove pork from the marinade, drip dry.
- Sauté garlic and onion, add pork and the unused half of the marinade and bay leaf, simmer uncovered, reduce the liquid to half.
- Add fresh pork liver if you prefer the fresh ingredient, cover and cook.
- Add tomato sauce, liver paste (if this is what you're using), carrots, potatoes and raisins, simmer stirring occasionally.
- Add peppers and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the grated cheese, let it melt, stir and distribute evenly. Serve hot.
Very good recipe! I've been using your recipe for years modifying a couple of things here and there, but this is definitely the best menudo recipe online.
Tastes just as it should. A hit w/ the fam! Followed everything to the T except I used 2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts since family isn't too fond of pork.
I have never tried cooking menudo with cheese before, but I have with caldereta... but this proves to be good! I ran out of green pepper and lemon, so I substitued yellow pepper and a few key limes and it still turned out great. This recipe is a keeper.