Recipe by @ngdarlen
Ok folks,run and grab those fig preserves that you have sitting in the cupboards and get to cooking,if you wait till Christmas to make this cake you will slap yourself because it is the best cake I have ever eaten,and you will think so too after you make it!!Got this recipe from mom who has been making it for years.
Top Review by Szadura.D
Iâ€™ve made this cake in a healthy version: whole-grain flour, xylitol instead of sugar, flax meal instead of eggs, fat free yoghurt, less oil and no sauce but it was still superb and it had only 250cal/100gr with some extra fibre. Great dense and moist texture with nice fig flavour. This cake reminds me of sticky date pudding. It also has an extra bonus: you can mix everything in one bowl using only a wooden spoon.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fig preserves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon real butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl;add oil and eggs,beating well at medium speed with electric mixer.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla,beating well.
- Stir in preserves and pecans or walnuts.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes;remove from pan and place on serving platter.
- Pour buttermilk glaze over cake while both are still warm.
- BUTTERMILK GLAZE.
- Melt 1 tablespoon real butter in saucepan over low heat,add the buttermilk and the powdered sugar and heat till dissolved,then add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- If the glaze is to thin or thick add powdered sugar or more buttermilk accordingly till you get the consistency you like.