Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make your own version of these tasty cake/cookies
- 1 lb dried figs or 2 lbs fresh figs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water (1 c. for dried figs, 1/2 c. for fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cream or 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- Dice figs, soak in water 1 hour.
- Add sugar & cook on medium heat until of thin jam consistency.
- Beat sugar, butter, egg, milk & vanilla until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place 1/2 on well floured dough cloth; knead about 6 times.
- Roll out to 1/4" thick. Line 13 x 9" glass baking dish; cover with figs.
- Roll remaining dough, cover figs. Cook at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares. Depending on the size you cut you can get a couple dozen cookies.
Very tasty (please see how I rate)! The dough was difficult to work with (like working with wet sand), and reminded me of a crumbly pie crust dough. Chilling the dough helped, and I think a tad more flour would help even more (like 2 cups total). What worked best for me was to divide the batch into four pieces and roll out each piece with lots of flour on a piece of parchment paper, while keeping the rest in the refrigerator. I decided to make strudel shaped cookies: I rolled out a rectangle, spooned the filling down the center and lifted the sides of the rectangle to cover the center (using the paper base came in handy). I placed the shaped logs in the freezer and when firm enough transfered to the baking pan seam side down. Also, I would suggest working with relatively narrow dough rectangles (ca. 3 inches) as the logs flattened and expanded while baking. Two pounds of fresh figs made a lot of filling, way too much than for the strudel shaped cookies, maybe layering like in the recipe would use up more filling, but it still seems that there is A LOT of fig preserve (which will be great for breakfast!).
These are good, oh yes, these are very good. Thank you for posting
The dough was too difficult to work with. Too many other recipes to try. Had to piece dough onto filling. Won't make again.