Prep 24 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is posted by request. Original poster is Della Masia.
- 4 quarts ripe figs (around 35)
- 5 cups sugar, divided
- 2 quarts water
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 cups vinegar
- In a large pot add 3 cups sugar to the water and cook until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile peel figs.
- Add figs and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups sugar and the vinegar.
- Tie the spices in a cheesecloth spice bag and add to fig mixture.
- Cook figs until they are clear.
- cover and let stand overnight up to 24 hours.
- Stir well and remove spice bag.
- Bring to a rolling simmer and pack in clean, hot sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.