Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is a great casserole for a pot luck or party because all of the preparation can be done in advance. I like to put this in the oven on "time bake" so it is ready for us to eat when we come home from soccer practice!
- 2 cups light sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion, including some tender green tops
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 corn tortillas, softened (wrap in paper towels and microwave for 25-30 seconds)
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed (about 2 pounds)
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese (about 1 pound)
- your favorite fresh salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, mix sour cream, chilies, paprika, cumin, salt, onions and garlic.
- In 9 x 13-inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray, place 3 tortillas so that they overlap slightly.
- In layers, add one third of the chicken, one third of the sour cream mixture (it will not cover chicken completely), and one third of the cheese.
- Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring casserole to room temperature and then bake, covered, until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with salsa.