Prep1 hr 15 mins
I made this up as something to go with my chicken mole recipe, since I wasn't really in the mood for something like Spanish rice or refried beans. I think it makes a great side dish for Mexican food! This also would make a great salsa or dip.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onions or 1⁄2 cup scallion
- 1⁄4 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 -2 fresh jalapenos or 1 -2 other hot pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ripe avocado, diced (but on the firm side)
- 1 -2 clove garlic, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Combine ingredients, mixing well.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Note: the best way to dice an avocado is to cut it in half up to the seed all the way around, wiggle it apart, take a knife and pry out the seed, then cut the flesh into a cross-hatch without cutting through the skin, then scooping out the fruit with a larger thin spoon, as close to the skin as you can get.