Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I made this up as something to go with my chicken mole recipe, since I wasn't really in the mood for something like Spanish rice or refried beans. I think it makes a great side dish for Mexican food! This also would make a great salsa or dip.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onions or 1⁄2 cup scallion
- 1⁄4 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 -2 fresh jalapenos or 1 -2 other hot pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ripe avocado, diced (but on the firm side)
- 1 -2 clove garlic, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Combine ingredients, mixing well.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Note: the best way to dice an avocado is to cut it in half up to the seed all the way around, wiggle it apart, take a knife and pry out the seed, then cut the flesh into a cross-hatch without cutting through the skin, then scooping out the fruit with a larger thin spoon, as close to the skin as you can get.
Incredibly delicious (and simple too)! I made this exactly as posted, but also added some halved grape tomatoes that I needed to use up. This is so versatile too. It's a great side dish but is equally good served with tortilla chips as a dip/salsa. It is even better the next day. I should know - I just ended up eating it straight out of the container with a spoon! I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing your great idea.
It looked exceptional and was delicious. My only problem was the jalapeno peppers overpowered it. Next time, I will either omit or use very sparingly. Thanks for the recipe!
This was a huge hit over the holidays! I made it as a side dish for dinner but it was taken out early and served with chips as a salsa. There was none left for dinner! Not to mention that we could have used more before hand. This is definitely on the keeper list!