Recipe by islandgirl77551
My mom used to make this when we were growing up. This is not her exact recipe, I wrote it down as I went. We don't follow recipes or measure frequently made foods in my family. I learned to cook by watching and doing, so I have to write down as I go on a lot of recipes. You can adjust the spices to suit your taste. I use more, because I like it hot. You can leave out the beef and use as a side dish.
Top Review by Shawn C
wow very very good! I made just a few changes for what I had on hand. not much different from the original.<br/>No crushed red pepper: Used 1 Tbsp srircha instead, no green chilies: used 1 can mild rotel and 1 can of petite diced tomatoes instead of the 3 cans recipe called for. we topped ours with a mix of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese. OH and I didn't have regular chili powder so I had to use HOT Mexican chili powder. we will definitely have this again. I might even tone down the heat and make for a pot luck!
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground red pepper
- 7.39 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml garlic salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 113.39 g angel hair pasta (fideo)
- 226.79 g orzo pasta
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 fresh jalapeno (diced)
- 113.39 g can diced green chilies
- 2 (850.48 g) can diced tomatoes
- 4.92 ml beef bouillon powder
- 473.18 ml hot water
- 236.59 ml sharp cheddar cheese (grated for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with chili powder,red pepper,cumin,salt,onion,garlic and jalapeno.
- Set beef mixture aside.
- In a large deep skillet with a lid, heat oil and add fideo,broken into small pieces, and orzo.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes, allowing pasta to brown lightly.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add beef mixture to skillet with pasta.
- Add canned tomatoes juice included.
- Add canned green chilies.
- Mix beef bouillon powder with 2 cups hot water and add to pasta.
- Place lid on skillet and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until pasta is cooked.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese.