Recipe by Lainey39
I got this recipe from a friend. In addition to being a wonderful sauce for pasta, this white sauce is a great basic recipe to use with seasonal vegetables such as zucchini. This sauce is also perfect for adding shrimp or scallops. Spring onions are used in this recipe as they tend to be milder in taste than other onions. Although this recipe calls for fresh garlic, minced garlic may also be used. One teaspoon of minced garlic equals 2 cloves. Since this is a white sauce, it does NOT need cheese. The pasta should be added to the sauce, not the sauce to the pasta. Please note that some ingredients used in my recipe are approximations and more spices may be needed depending on individual taste. Enjoy!
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut in half
- 3 anchovies
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 bunch spring onion, remove tops and chop into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook fettuccine to al dente, consult package directions for cooking time.
- Add half of the stick of butter to large saucepan.
- Fill bottom of saucepan with olive oil and stir butter and oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic to butter and olive oil.
- Add anchovies and cook down.
- Stir in chopped peppers.
- Add onions and mushrooms and stir well.
- Add more olive oil to saucepan to wet all the vegetables.
- Add second half of butter.
- Add white wine and stir well.
- Sprinkle salt over sauce, I use about three sprinkles.
- Add oregano, I add three dashes.
- Grate fresh ground black pepper over sauce.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce.