I received this recipe from my cousin Jim, a male, who is a darn good cook....but most of his recipes are Hot! Hot! Hot! This is one that he was sure I would like cuz it was heat-free. He and his wife are both bikers....in their travels they pick up some recipes....which usually carries some hot peppers of one sort or another.
- 8 -12 ounces fettuccine (1/2 egg & 1/2 spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in 3/4-inch squares
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4-1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into small strips
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook Fettuccine according to package directions, and keep warm.
- Spray your skillet with non-stick vegetable oil spray, or use a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Saute broccoli, peppers and onions on medium heat until tender, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan, and add vegetable oil.
- Add the chicken strips to pan and saute about 4 minutes.
- Add soup, water, and basil to the chicken.
- Mix well; then add in the vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted.
- Serve over the Fettuccine.
Lovely one dish dinner that went together very quickly. The only change I made was to slightly increase the amount of broccoli and chicken as I had more of both on hand. I used low-fat mushroom soup. This recipe is wonderful as is but would be easy to add to. I think next time I'll add mushrooms and garlic just because we like them. Thank you, Doozie! Reviewed for PAC, Fall, 2007.