Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another favorite wheat salad. Reminds me of a Greek salad. Everyone loves this. Have been asked MANY times for the recipe. Adapted from a recipe in "The Best of Gourmet 1994". Sometimes I'll add more dressing if it absorbs it all. Might be yummy with some marinated artichokes too. I like to use the basil and sun-dried tomato variety of Feta.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1⁄4 cup bottled roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pepperoncini pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mixed fresh herbs (parsley, mint, thyme & basil)
- 1 -2 tablespoon kalamata olive, pitted, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Pick over the wheat berries and remove any foreign bits. Rinse and add the wheat berries to boiling salted water. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Stir together the wheat berries, feta, onion, cucumber, roasted pepper, pepperocini, herbs, olives and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Mix everything together and garnish with fresh herbs.