Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
The flavors of these burgers are as deep as the eastern Mediterranean Sea, upon whose shores many of the ingredients originated.
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 8 ounces lean ground lamb
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large pita bread rounds
- 2 cups arugula or 2 cups watercress
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, the 2 T milk, the onion, garlic, salt, oregano and lemon-pepper seasoning.
- Add ground lamb and ground beef; mix well.
- Shape meat mixture into eight 1/4-inch, thick patties.
- For filling: In a small bowl, combine feta cheese and the 1 T milk.
- Divide filling among four of the patties.
- Top with the remaining patties, press edges to seal.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle mixture over patties.
- For a charcoal grill, place patties on the grill rack directly over medium coals.
- Grill, uncovered, for 12-16 minutes or until done, turning once, halfway through grilling.
- For a gas grill, preheat grill.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.
- To serve, cut pita bread rounds in half crosswise.
- Serve burgers in pita halves with arugula.