Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
Here is Greek twist on Cornbread. This recipe is from the June 1993 issue of Gourmet Magazine. Make this bread up to 2 days in advance and keep wrapped tightly in foil and chilled.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta, crumbled
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Into a large bowl sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cumin. Add the Feta and the green onion and toss the mixture well.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and olive oil.
- Add the milk mixture to the cornmeal mixture, and stir the batter until it is just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan 9 X 5 inches, and bake the corn bread in the middle of the oven for 45 -50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the cornbread cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes and run a thin knife around the edges of the pan. Turn the cornbread out onto the rack and let it cool completely.