Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe off the internet ( I think it was in a newspaper)and it is so good. Very tasty, creamy and filling. You will swear this has cream in it!!!
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup sliced carrot (2-3 carrots)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart chicken broth (vegetable broth can be used to make this vegetarian)
- cracked black pepper
- Trim tops& bottoms of fennel bulbs.
- Save a few green fronds& chop for garnish.
- Thinly slice bulbs, you should have about 4 cups sliced fennel.
- In large saucepan, saute sliced fennel, onions, carrots in the olive oil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, cover& bring to a simmer about 20-25 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Remove from heat& puree with an immersion blender right in saucepan or in a food processor or add to a blender.
- May take a couple of batches.
- Transfer each batch to a clean saucepan.
- Serve with sprinkle of chopped fennel fronds& cracked black pepper.
The soup is so very easy to make! Pleasant delicate blend of flavours, but its colour (some kind of brownish... but what else could we expect from a blend of green and orange??) is not very attractive... I think next time, I'll try with parsnips instead of carrots, which should help with the colour. I found it was more fragrant when served warm (rather than very hot). Thanks for sharing!