Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
I love Fava beans (also known as Broad Beans or Butter Beans). They are a bit of a workup but well worth it. To prepare the beans pop the pods and remove the beans - they will have a whitish skin on them. Bring a pot of water to a boil & put the beans in, boil for only a minute or two, drain. Place under cold water. Remove the white skin and the beans are ready to use. Use them now or pop them into your freezer
- 2 cups prepared fava beans
- 1 medium leek, white part only, cleaned and chopped
- 4 medium size mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt & pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 tablespoons water
- Heat the butter (margarine) in a skillet.medium heat.
- Add the leeks, mushrooms, chili flakes and garlic.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the fava beans and water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir once or twice.