Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderfully moist fat free chocolate muffin, and a sneaky way to get that nutritious beta carotene! My kids have no idea they are eating pumpkin! They actually ask for these babies. The pudding mix is optional, it adds some sweetness and moistness, but you don't need it. The addition will add to your baking time 5-10 minutes.
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pumpkin (or 1 can)
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix (makes them moister) (optional)
- Spray muffin pans with non-stick coating.
- Mix all ingredients together.You will need to use an ELECTRIC MIXER, the batter is very dry, like brownie batter, KEEP MIXING it WILL mix together. DO NOT ADD EGGS OR MILK.
- Baking soda is your leavening agent, and pumpkin sbstitutes your fats (much like applesauce does).
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, for regular muffin pans, 20 minutes for jumbo pans. Test with a toothpick to see if they are done.
Very good. I had to double the sugar and add almost a half cup of oil to get a good consistency and I had to double the baking time. These came out wonderfully and I am most certainly making them again. :D
Wonderful! Thay had a great, cake-like consistancy! I halved the recipe twice and got 5 medium muffins. I didn't have enough pumpkin so I used half banana which worked fine, but I woudl probably just go and buy more pumpkin next time because the banana flavour did come out a bit after baking. There wasn't enough liquid to incorperate the dry ingrediants (maybe because I added a bit more sugar and cocoa?) so I added a mix of applesauce and mashed banana until it had a better consistancy. I did not use the pudding mix, but I threw in some chocolate chips (hey, they still are pretty good for you!) Thanks for the great recipe I will use again!
These are really good! I was hoping for dense, fudgey chocolate, and this is! I left out the salt; I did use pudding mix but still baked for just 15 minutes. The toothpick does not come out clean, but trust me, after 15 min. they're done! I did add 1/2 cup applesauce to get just a little more liquid, and it seemed perfect. Anyone who regularly eats a lowfat diet will like these.