Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The ultimate antyime-anywhere cake, it tastes like an apple pie in a cake. I got it from Taste of Home Magazine. (This is the original--I make it w/out rasins or cloves and vanilla yogurt and no drizzle but it still comes out great either way!) Fantastic!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Combine applesauce, water, yogurt, egg whites, and almond extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Pour into a greased 8" square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- For drizzle, in a bowl, whisk confectoners' sugar and water until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but although it tasted great, the cake came out sort of rubbery in texture. This was the very first time I had ever used a silicone pan and I am wondering if it was that or a problem with under-/over-mixing, but we had a hard time even cutting the cake. It was weird. If I get the chance, I will try making it again in a regular pan and using some whole-wheat flour like the other reviewers. Made for Chef I Am's Cake-a-thon! (In memory of Tina.)
I skipped the glaze. And made it much as Ladypit did. I used 1/2 c Splenda/no sugar and 50% whole wheat flour.Yummy cake with plenty of sweetness. The spices, apple and raisins make for a terrific, homey, Autumn cake. Thanks for posting this. Made for PAC, FAll '07
We really enjoyed this! I'm cleaning things out and had all these things in the house (except the raisins which I left out). I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup splenda, and 1/2 whole wheat flour. I did use the glaze though I had to add a whole lot more water to make it do it would go on the top of the cake. That said, this cake is moist with a nice spice taste. You would never guess it was fat free. Thanks so much!!