Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very quick & delicious! You know when you remember something when you are just falling asleep at night? Well I remembered I said I would make cupcakes for my daughter's Father-Daughter girl scout dance, so before I left for work the next morning I whipped up these! Took me 10 minutes to mix up! And they are so yummy. And then frost them with the "fast fudge frosting". Chocolately delicious!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
FAST FUDGE FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (or less, just a pinch)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (or 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan or put 12 cupcake papers in a cupcake pan and one extra in a custard cup.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the cake, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together. Sift only if the cocoa remains lumpy, set aside. (I sifted it through a fine strainer as I combined it with the wet ingredients in step 5).
- In a large bowl, combine the warm melted butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until well blended.
- Add all of the flour mixture at once.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon - stir only until all the flour is moistened.
- Pour the hot water over the batter all at once.
- Stir only until the water is incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the pan (or cupcakes - to do that efficiently I scrape the batter into a 4 cup measuring cup and then easily pour it into the cupcake liners.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cake - 25 to 30 minutes, cupcakes 17 - 22 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes before unmolding. To unmold, slide a slim knife around the edges of the cake to release it from the pan. Invert the cake. Turn the cake right side up and cool completely on a rack before frosting the top and sides. Or cool the cake in the pan and frost only the top. Cupcakes can cool in the pan and remove & frost when cool.
- While the cake cooks, make the FAST FUDGE FROSTING:.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Stir in the sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- Gradually stir in the cream.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and hot but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Cool until thickened to the consistency of frosting(takes a while at room temp - try putting in fridge to speed up, but watch it!) or use as a warm glaze or sauce.
- Store leftover frosting in the refrigerator.
- Rewarm gently in the microwave before using.
The cake turned out to be so rich, especially the frosting. But the cake itself was rich like a pound cake, so I would have to say that it was a little on the dense side for me.