Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Best soup I think I've ever had. I helped to prepare this recipe at Apicius, the Culinary Institute of Florence, during a trip to Italy. Cooking times are guesses--does not include time to soak the beans.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 ounce tomato paste
- 10 ounces pinto beans
- 1⁄2 lb cracked farro
- 2 ounces olive oil
- Soak beans in cold water overnight.
- Drain the beans and place them in plenty of fresh water. Cook on low heat, adding salt at the end of cooking time.
- Puree half the beans, reserving water.
- Sauté the chopped vegetables in olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, sage, and tomato paste and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cooking water of the beans. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for a few minutes.
- Add the washed faro wheat.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, adding broth or water as needed.
- Let sit approximately 1/2 hour before serving so faro can double in bulk.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil and black pepper.