Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These rise well and are moist and delicious --- this recipe makes 3 loaves and they freeze wonderful.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (cooked or canned)
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup light raisins
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 3/ 8-1/2-in x 4-1/2-in loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Mix"vigorously" until very well combined.
- (do this by hand with a wooden spoon).
- Divide the batter between 3 loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until cakes test done.
- Cool breads for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pans onto a wire rack.
- Note: if desired, you could replace the raisins with 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips.
Awesome pumpkin loaf! I changed it a little bit -- I removed the molasses, decreased the nutmeg to 1/2 teaspoon and I used the whole can of pumpkin puree(28oz). I baked the three large loaves for 1hour 10 min. We devoured one, froze one and brought one to our neighbour who lost his wife this past summer. What better way to wish him a Happy Canadian Thanksgiving from people who care! I know that I will make these again real soon -- great for church bazaars!! Thanks RecipeZaar!! Diane(Ontario, Canada)
This is an enjoyable, spicy quick bread. Love how the molasses gives it an added dimension of flavor. I did feel the spices overwhelmed the pumpkin flavor though. I also felt it was over done slightly being baked at 350°F for a whole hour. I would recommend backing it off to 325°F and checking it at 45-50 minutes. I think that would increase the moistness a lot. The bread had a nice flavor, it just wasn't strong in the pumpkin department. So if you enjoy gingerbread and spice cake, this is a must try. A pleasant, comforting bread on a cool morning especially. Thanks Kitten!