1/1 Photo of Fabulous Southern-Style Oven Fried Chicken
1 hr 15 mins
I devised this to resolve my southern husband's taste for fried chicken with a HEALTHY, non-deep-fried version, with no wheat, milk, eggs, or processed or artificial ingredients. It's a delicious EASY recipe that works for chicken legs, thighs, or breasts. Make PLENTY in the summer to eat as is, or use leftovers for chicken SALAD!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 chicken legs (or 3 chicken breasts, bone-in works just fine and is more economical than boneless)
- 14.79 ml dried rosemary
- 2.46 ml salt (adjust to taste)
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 14.79 ml potato starch
- 29.58 ml oats
- 0.25 ml powdered ginger (optional)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 118.29 ml water
- 1For moistest results soak chicken pieces in a bowl of salted water for 15 minutes before cooking.
- 2Line baking tray with foil and spray lightly with oil.
- 3Grind dry ingredients in coffee grinder or with pestle and mortar.
- 4Pour into a bowl and add water little by little while stirring until a smooth runny paste is achieved. You may need more or less water.
- 5Remove chicken from soaking water, and pat dry if necessary.
- 6Dip into the rosemary coating until covered, and place on baking tray. This will seal in the juices.
- 7Bake at 365º for one hour.
- 8Once it's in, put your feet up for at least ten minutes, drink a glass of cold water, breathe deeply - and relax. Your chicken is safe.
- 9Suggestions: Serve with brown rice and greens, or if you have cooked breasts or thighs, then serve the chicken chopped into a salad with cucumbers, roma tomatoes and red onion, topped with Chimichurri sauce - a purée of cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Southern-Style Oven Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1087.5
- Calories from Fat 613
- Total Fat 68.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 462.0 mg
- Sodium 832.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 102.6 g