Bengali-Style Oven-Fried Potatoes
photo by Debbwl
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove oven racks & spray them with oil.
- Wash potatoes & slice them lengthwise into sticks 1/2″ thick or crosswise into rounds 1/3″ thick.
- Transfer to a baking pan & spray well with oil.
- Add seasonings & toss to coat. Place the rounds in a single layer on the oven racks. Place the racks in the centre of the oven.
- Bake until the potatoes are tender, with a deep, golden-brown crust, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve piping hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Outstanding flavor, and easy to make, I cut mine thinner than ask and got crispy edges of potato peel surrounding the soft yummy spud meat. I really love the spice mix with very coarse ground pepper. I might up the spices by half next time simply because I love the mix and I love things well spiced. No problem with them as they are though.:D
These taters were yummy! They had a good spicy flavour with the cumin adding some zip, which we enjoyed. However the full 1/2 ts was a bit too much for our taste. Next time Ill simply reduce that a tad so that the other spices come through more. <br/>Other than that this is a wonderful easy recipe that was enjoyed by all. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, AZ!<br/>Made and reviewed for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #48 January 2011.
I made as wedges and doubled the spices as I used more than a 1lb of carisma potatoes (low GI) and they were very flavoursome but did not have the crisp that I expected but would definitely consider making again for their easiness and taste, thank you AZPARZYCH made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
What colorful flavors all the spice brings to the plain pallet of the humble potato. I did fallow Alli's suggestion and used a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Did cut the recipe half and cut the potatoes into slice. A recipe that is so tasty and easy it will be enjoyed again and again. Thanks for the post.