This recipe is simple and great. I got it at a church women's function and have made it many, many times since.
- Pour warm water into a large, warm mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar, salt, oil, 3 cups of flour, and yeast.
- Beat vigorously for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour until all dry ingredients are incorporated, leaving spoon right in batter.
- Allow dough to rest 10 minutes; then stir down.
- Allow dough to rest another 10 minutes and stir down again.
- Repeat this process until dough has been stirred down 5 times.
- Turn dough onto floured surface.
- Knead only enough to coat the dough with flour so it can be handled.
- Divide dough into 2 parts.
- Roll each half into a rectangle approximately 9x12 inches, and roll up like a jelly roll starting from the long side.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Arrange on a large baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal, leaving enough room for both loaves.
- Cover lightly and let rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- With a very sharp knife, cut 3 diagonal slashes on top of each loaf.
- Brush each loaf with beaten egg.
- Bake immediately at 400°F for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
- *NOTE: I have used my Kitchenaid mixer to do all the mixing and it works great either way.
my family won't let me make another type of bread because thet love this
EXCELLENT and SO easy! Wow- this one is a keeper- thanks!
AWESOME & EASY!!! A hit with everyone - tried it for a party. Now it's the most requested bread at the house. Thank you.