1/4 Photos of Fabulous French Bread
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is simple and great. I got it at a church women's function and have made it many, many times since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour warm water into a large, warm mixing bowl.
- 2Stir in sugar, salt, oil, 3 cups of flour, and yeast.
- 3Beat vigorously for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Stir in remaining flour until all dry ingredients are incorporated, leaving spoon right in batter.
- 5Allow dough to rest 10 minutes; then stir down.
- 6Allow dough to rest another 10 minutes and stir down again.
- 7Repeat this process until dough has been stirred down 5 times.
- 8Turn dough onto floured surface.
- 9Knead only enough to coat the dough with flour so it can be handled.
- 10Divide dough into 2 parts.
- 11Roll each half into a rectangle approximately 9x12 inches, and roll up like a jelly roll starting from the long side.
- 12Pinch ends to seal.
- 13Arrange on a large baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal, leaving enough room for both loaves.
- 14Cover lightly and let rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 15With a very sharp knife, cut 3 diagonal slashes on top of each loaf.
- 16Brush each loaf with beaten egg.
- 17Bake immediately at 400°F for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 18Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
- 19*NOTE: I have used my Kitchenaid mixer to do all the mixing and it works great either way.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1608.7
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 3546.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 303.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 46.7 g