Oven-Roasted Chicken, With Roasted Garlic and French Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 37mins
- 1 whole chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 4 heads garlic (in skins)
- salt and pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- crusty French bread
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Wash and dry chicken, and remove giblets.
- Baste (or rub) whole chicken with olive oil.
- Mix salt and pepper to taste, and all other spices, in small bowl, and then rub over entire chicken (leave a small amount of spice mixture remaining).
- Put leftover spice mixture, and 4 indiviudal garlic cloves, inside cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken in large roasting pan (without rack).
- Take apart remaining garlic bulbs (leaving skins on) and place garlic cloves all around chicken.
- Pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, then remove cover, and bake for 35 to 40 mins, until chicken is browned.
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Carve chicken, while heating up french bread (if you like your bread warmed).
- Serve chicken pieces and french bread, with roasted garlic cloves.
- Squeeze roasted garlic (which will squeeze nicely right out of the skins) onto slices of french bread and/or onto chicken pieces, as you eat it (we love to squeeze garlic right onto our chicken, as well as onto the bread).
Join The Conversation
I have made this a few times now. It is so easy and super tasty!!! I used more broth as my pan is quite large, I also basted the chicken every 10 min for the last 30 min of cooking. The garlic is divine.. I only use about 2 1/2 heads as that's all the two of us grown-ups can eat, but I don't see how the difference would change the yummy flavor of the chicken. The first time I used the leftover chicken carcass, roasted garlic, (squeezed from skin) poultry seasonings, and some s&p to make the most delicious roasted garlic stock... Thank you for this wonderful double duty recipe!
This was really tasty and moist. My bird was a little over five pounds so needed to add about 15 minutes to the cooking time. Added a half a lemon and half an onion to the cavity as well as seasoning and the garlic. Used all purpose seasoning plus seasoning salt and pepper. Used one bulb of garlic instead of four.