Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make, healthy and GOOD!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 10 ounces fresh green beans, cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 (16 ounce) cancooked chickpeas, drained
- Warm the oil in a nonreactive large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic and peeled, chipped sweet potatoes (you can also use carrotts or winter squash, such as acorn or butternut) and saute 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, bay leaf, basil, thyme, paprika and salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
- stir in the tomato, green beans (you can also use 1 10 oz. package frozen green beans, thawed and cut into 2 inch lengths) and chickpeas. Simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve hot.