Recipe by pines506
Great way to use leftover ham!
Top Review by Clueless in the Kitchen
It's was the New Year!!! Panic! I had no idea how to fix black eye peas so that our family would have good luck this year. I found this recipe; I liked and had most of the ingredients. My daughter scampered and found a mixture of macaroni, fresh presoaked black eye peas, green chilie instead of green peppers, and lots of diced bacon. I also used Mexican cheese along with the cheddar. Finally served jalapenos seperately, for those with with different heat tolerances. My family loved it....even me...I hate black eye peas.
- 2 cups cooked diced ham
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas with jalapenos, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 cups cooked macaroni, drained
- grated cheddar cheese
- crumbled corn chips, for topping
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ham, onion and pepper in bacon drippings.
- Add hot water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Combine mixture with the two cans of peas, macaroni and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn into a 2 quart casserole and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Top with crushed corn chips and grated cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.