Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This looked pretty interesting, so I thought I'd post it.
- 2 cups dried lentils, picked over and washed
- 6 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup anaheim chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup spiced butter
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon berbere, sauce
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Boil the lentils in water for 5 minutes Drain, reserving liquid.
- In 4 quart saucepot, saute the Anaheim peppers and onions in the spiced butter until the onions are tender.
- Add the lentils, 4c of the reserved liquid, and the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, over low heat 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
My family likes it a lot. I make this with Ethiopian Vegetables (#133096) and serve with injira from a local Ethiopian restaurant. Makes a good vegetarian meal, without the cost of going to the restaurant.