This is a must-have recipe for those who love ethnic foods. This is a very filling option as well.
Make and share this Ethiopian Chickpea Wat recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and potato, cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Remove and cover and stir in cayenne, paprika, ginger, salt, pepper, cumin, cardamom and tomato paste. Add chickpeas and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and the flavor is developed, about 30 minutes, adding a bit more water if needed. About 10 minutes before the stew is ready, stir in green peas and taste to adjust seasonings.