photo by bwon23
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons berbere
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- injera bread
- Over medium high heat saute the onions stirring frequently (5min).
- Add the tomato paste and keep stirring (5min).
- Next add the berbere and cook for 5 minutes adding a little bit of water when the bottom of the pot starts catching. Keep stirring.
- Add the rinsed lentils and cook together for an additional 5 minutes (continue to stir adding a bit of water so that the mixture doesn't burn).
- Add about 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Occasionally stir.
- Once the water reduces and lentils have thickened add the ground coriander, garlic and salt. Reduce heat and leave for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with injera.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!