Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich and fudgy mocha brownies filled with espresso cream cheese frosting--yummy! Sounds worth the time and effort! There is also a variation for a white chocolate espresso filling at the end of the recipe.
- 5 ounces swiss dark chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon espresso granules
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Brownies: Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease a 9" square baking pan; line with foil so that it extends 2" beyond 2 opposite sides of the pan. Fold overhanging edges down along the outside of the pan; butter the inside of the pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over very low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove pan from heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the eggs and salt until foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, beatin 3-4 minutes, or until thick.
- In a small cup, stir together the espresso and vanilla until dissolved; add to egg mixture.
- Beat in the melted chocolate until blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour just until blended.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick tests done. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Lift the brownie square out of the pan by the foil handles, invert, peel off foil, and invert again. Cut into 16 bars.
- Make the filling: In a small cup, stir together the hot water, vanilla, and espresso granules until dissolved.
- In a bowl, using a fork, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Blend in the espresso mixture.
- Gradually blend in the powdered sugar.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour, until firm enough to spread.
- To assemble, cut each brownie in half horizontally. Top the bottom layer of each brownie with about 1 tablespoons of filling; top with remaining brownie halves.
- Chill for 15 minutes to set filling.
- Store airtight in refrigerator; bring to room temperature about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- **White Chocolate Espresso Filling: Melt 3 oz. white chocolate over very low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 6 oz. softened cream cheese.
- In a small cup, dissolve 1 teaspoons espresso granules in 1/2 teaspoons hot water and 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract; stir into the cream cheese mixture.
- Cover and chill 1 hour, until firm enough to spread. Fill brownies as described.**.