Recipe by Annacia
Because this fudgy brownie isn't cloyingly sweet, you'll notice the intense coffee and chocolate flavors. These travel well too.
Top Review by Katzen
Wonderful brownies - these got fantastic reviews tonight! I used the glaze and then topped them with dark chocolate that I grated with my microplaner. I used strong brewed coffee instead of the liqueur. These are definatey pure decadence!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, Annacia! Made for 1-2-3 Hits Tag.
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup instant espresso powder
- 1⁄4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- chocolate-covered coffee beans (optional)
- 6 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside. Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, espresso powder, coffee liqueur, and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture. Add flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes until top appears set and dry. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Pour Chocolate Glaze evenly over brownies. Cover and chill about 2 hours until glaze is set.
- Before serving, let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Use foil to lift brownies out of pan. Cut into bars. If desired, garnish with chocolate-covered coffee beans. Makes 48 brownies.
- To Tote: Cover and transport in baking pan. (Or cut into bars and place in a single layer in a shallow container.)
- Chocolate Glaze: In a medium saucepan combine 6 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate, 1/4 cup butter, and 2 tablespoons milk. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- For 24 Brownies: Prepare 1/2 the amount using method above, except spread batter in a greased and foil-lined 8x8x2-inch baking pan.