Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder and mustard.
- Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well blended.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature (Does not need to be refrigerated).
This does not appear to be a functional recipe. As others have noted, no way there should be more vinegar than oil! That's crazy talk. Also, Esperanza Dressing is creamy, and there is nothing in this recipe to get it there. I have spent the better part of an hour in the kitchen trying to recreate Mellow Mushroom's Esperanza and have posted my best effort elsewhere on this site. I hope it is closer than this one.
I reduced the vinegar by at least half and added 3 tbsp of mayonnaise to make it more like Mellow Mushroom's. Still not quite there but closer.
As Chef #775384 stated before, yes the red wine dressing was a bit much (as well as the oregano). I was also trying to re-make the same dressing they use at the Mellow Mushroom restaurant, but this dressing was more of a vinaigrette than the creamy esperanza served at the Mellow Mushroom. However after mixing this recipe with 1/2 cup of (creamy) ranch dressing, it came closer (but not quite there) to the tase Mellow Mushroom esperanza. Next time I make this I'm going to definitely cut back on the red wine vinegar.