Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A simple bar cookie with nuts pressed into the top.
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecan halves or 1 cup walnut halves
- In a bowl with a mixer, beat butter with sugar until smoothly blended.
- Beat in egg yolk.
- Add flour to butter mixture.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Evenly press dough into buttered and floured 10- by 15-inch pan.
- In a bowl with a fork, beat egg white to blend.
- Spread over dough with pastry brush.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over dough, then press them in.
- Bake in a 275° F oven until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Cut while hot into 1 1/2-inch squares.
- Use a small spatula to lift from pan.
- Let cool.
- Serve or store airtight up to 4 days, or freeze to store longer.
thank you so much!!!! I have been looking high and low for this recipe for years. It makes me so happy to get it again. This has to be one of the best cookies in the world!!! It is so easy to make, do not change a thing this is true prefection!
I'm afraid these did not taste great ~ at least to us. Perhaps more sugar, or the use of brown sugar would have helped. They were not toffee-like at all. I also had trouble brushing the egg white over the unbaked crust - crumbs kept coming up with the brush. I'm sorry that I couldn't give a more positive review.