Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups margarine
- 2 (12 ounce) bags semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- walnuts (optional)
- Get a cookie sheet ready with wax paper on it.
- In a medium size pan on medium heat, melt margarine and sugar.
- Stir constantly until you reach 285 degrees on the candy thermometer.
- (Usually about 15 minutes when hard crack stage sets in. You can also test in a glass of cold water by dropping in a bit and seeing if it hardens and is crunchy, which means it is ready).
- Pour mixture onto wax paper cookie sheet and let cool.
- This is the time to add nuts as well.
- In a double boiler (or in a pot that is atop a pot of steaming water) melt 1 teaspoon of shortening, and then add a 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips.
- When melted, pour on one side of the toffee batch, and spread out.
- Put in fridge and let cool.
- When chocolate has hardened flip entire toffee batch over on another piece of wax paper and peel off old wax paper.
- Repeat double boiler procedure and put in fridge.
- After cooled, you can now break up and eat.
- Store candy in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.