Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here is a rich and satisfying cheese soup. Stilton cheese is the great English blue veined cheese that ages to ivory pale gold perfection.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half (half milk and half cream)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled Stilton cheese (6 ounces)
- snipped fresh parsley
- Cook onion, carrot and bay leaf in margarine in 3 quart saucepan until onion and carrot are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and white pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and half and half.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in cheese; heat over low heat, stirring constantly, just until cheese is melted.
- Remove bay leaf; sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with crumpets.
- The New International Cookbook.