Recipe by spatchcock
This is one of the recipes I adopted. With proper instructions to follow, it's very tasty! Thank goodness we can get a variety of fresh produce year round!
Top Review by Barb G.
We love Ratatouille, This is delicious, I could really Pig out on this. I did omit some of the peppers, Used a small can of diced tomatoes with a little of the juice, (Would use fresh if they were riper than the ones at the store) and cut the recipe down to half for the 2 of us. I used Parmesan Cheese and Romano and a little Mozzarella cheese in the topping with the basil, also put some basil in with the veggies. This made a great meal with some french bread and a side salad. Thank you Julie.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 yellow squash, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped (ripe)
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 11 ounces montrachet or 11 ounces chevre cheese, crumbled or 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together in a small bowl: parsley, red onion, garlic, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In Medium skillet, heat oil and saute eggplant and red onion until soft, stirring often.
- Transfer eggplant/onion and oil into decorative 9x13 or larger, baking dish.
- Toss remaining vegetables, except the tomatoes, with the parsley garlic mixture and fold into the eggplant mixture.
- Scatter tomatoes on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, or until vegetables are bubbly.
- While baking, prepare topping: Combine 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves with your choice of cheese: 11 oz log montrachet or chevre cheese, crumbled or 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove foil and top with basil and cheese mixture, return to oven for a scant 5 minutes.
- Serve at once.