Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is easy to make and thicken after opening for enchiladas, or just use as a Mexican flavored tomato sauce.
- 12 cups halved cored peeled tomatoes (about 24 medium or 8 lb)
- bottled lemon juice
- salt (optional)
You will need
- 6 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt (optional)
- add 2-1/2 tsp of spice blend to each pint jar. if omitting seasoning salt, use only 2 tsp.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE tomatoes with just enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- ADD specified quantity of spice blend, 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt, if using, to each hot jar.
- PACK tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot cooking liquid over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 40 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Pretty close to the enchilada sauce flavor that I was looking for. I sauced my tomatoes and added the seasonings with just a bit more added as well.
Great recipe! The only thing I did a little different, is all everything together and blended it to make it semi smooth. Plus added 1 tsp. cocoa powder. Excellent!!!!!!!!!
This recipe is a keeper. I made this and gave some away as gifts and everyone's response was wonderful. Getting ready to make this years batch but think I will make more!