Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Southern Living; a potluck favorite
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, mix together ground beef, onion and garlic powder.
- Cook over medium heat until meat is browned.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add next 7 ingredients.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tear each tortilla into 8 pieces.
- Place half of tortilla pieces in oblong baking pan.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Place remaining tortilla pieces evenly over meat mixture.
- Mix together soup and milk.
- Pour over tortillas; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Great Mexican casserole! I used only one pound of ground beef, and added minced garlic instead of garlic powder (we're garlic fiends). Didn't have green chilis, so I dumped in about 1/4 cup medium salsa instead. The bake time was just right - I used a large cake pan (13 x 9) to bake it in. I will make it again, but won't use 2 cans of diced tomatoes - I'll just use one, then I think it will be perfect! Thanks for the recipe.
This is a wonderful dish. I especially like the crust from the soup and milk mixed together. My husband liked it, and he is hard to please. It is especially good on the second day, too!
Easy and Yummy!!!!! I did not have tortillas so I left them out and this was still delicious. If you don't have tortillas and want to make this I would recommend reducing the amount of liquid, to perhaps 4 ounces of tomato sauce or just 1 cup of tomatoes. Definite keeper!!!!!!!!