Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; a potluck favorite
Top Review by Musical Joy
Great Mexican casserole! I used only one pound of ground beef, and added minced garlic instead of garlic powder (we're garlic fiends). Didn't have green chilis, so I dumped in about 1/4 cup medium salsa instead. The bake time was just right - I used a large cake pan (13 x 9) to bake it in. I will make it again, but won't use 2 cans of diced tomatoes - I'll just use one, then I think it will be perfect! Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, mix together ground beef, onion and garlic powder.
- Cook over medium heat until meat is browned.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add next 7 ingredients.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tear each tortilla into 8 pieces.
- Place half of tortilla pieces in oblong baking pan.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Place remaining tortilla pieces evenly over meat mixture.
- Mix together soup and milk.
- Pour over tortillas; spread evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.