Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
If your family has spicier tastes, increase the chili powder and use a medium or hot salsa.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas, cut into 3/4-inch strips, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup salsa each in two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Layer each dish with a fourth of the tortillas and 1/4 cup salsa. Divided meat mixture, sour cream and corn between the two casseroles.
- Top with remaining tortillas, salsa and cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 1 month.
- Cover and bake second casserole at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed above.