Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This easy to prepare dough is for small, individual meat pies (tapas) served throughout the year in Spain and, traditionally, during the Christmas holidays in Mexico and northern New Mexico. (See my recipe for Meat Filling Empanada)
- For the dough: Put flour, salt, sugar and lard in large mixing bowl.
- With your hands or an electric mixer, mix this mixture very well.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and then add to the mixture.
- (If the dough is too dry, add enough water to make it manageable).
- Roll out dough to about 1/4th.
- inch thick.
- Cut circles, about 4 inches wide.
- For the filling: (see recipe for Euphelia's Meat Empanadas).
- Fill each circle with meat mixture.
- Fold and press edges firmly together.
- (You may use a bit of water to help seal the edges-- some people use beaten egg).
- Cut edges with pinking shears to help seal.
- Poke the little pie with a fork once or twice.
- Deep fat fry in oil or shortening until golden brown.
I added the dry yeast directly to the flour instead of dissolving the yeast in water to take out the sour taste and smell of the yeast.