3 hrs 20 mins
We adore a good pot roast and you can never have too many recipes for a great pot roast. I thought this looked very good and worth a shot. I hope you will try it too! Recipe courtesy of Emeril Green.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (4 1/2 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 20 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 quart beef stock (or low-sodium canned beef broth)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Coca-Cola
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups carrots, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups celery, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups onions, diced cut 2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Season the roasts well on all sides with 2 teaspoons of the salt and the pepper each. Using a paring knife, make 10 small, thin slits total into each of the roasts on all sides, and fill the holes with the garlic cloves. Spread the rosemary amongst the 2 roasts and also stuff into the slits.
- 3Heat a saute-pan over medium-high heat and add two tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, working one at a time, sear the roasts until very well browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- 4Place the roasts in a roasting pan. Add the vegetables, the stock, and cola and tomato paste and blend well. The liquid should come about 1/2 way up the sides of the roast. Cover the pan with foil, place in the oven, and roast until the meat is falling apart-tender, about 3 to 4 hours, adding extra water as necessary to keep the liquid level at about 1/3 up the sides When the meat is fork-tender, remove the roast from the oven and carefully transfer the roast to a serving platter. Cover loosely to keep warm.
- 5Skim off as much of the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid as possible. Reserve 1/4 cup of the fat in a small bowl and add the flour. Stir to make a smooth paste. Slowly whisk this mixture into the hot cooking liquid that remains in the roasting pan and place over high heat on the stovetop. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Cola Braised Pot Roast With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.6
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 176.0 mg
- Sodium 1474.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 48.6 g