1 hr 30 mins
This is a lovely choice for a Christmas or New Year's brunch or to serve special houseguests. I found the recipe years ago in an old church cookbook, and it's proven to be wonderfully adaptable. You can substitute Canadian bacon or ham for the regular bacon if you prefer and vary the cheeses according to your family's preferences. (Gruyere is great!) If you don't cook with wine, just add more milk mixed with a little water to thin. You can also replace the meat with sauteed mushrooms for a vegetarian version. Please note that it must be refrigerated overnight. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus
- more butter, for buttering dish
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 12 slices bacon, diced and fried until crisp
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 green onions
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- 1Grease bottom and sides of 9" x 13" glass casserole dish with butter.
- 2Tear bread into bite-sized pieces and place in dish, arranging so that they form a fairly solid layer but do not overlap (you may not need the whole loaf).
- 3Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan; drizzle evenly over bread.
- 4Sprinkle grated Swiss and Monterrey Jack cheeses evenly over bread.
- 5Top cheese layer evenly with cooked bacon bits.
- 6Break eggs into large mixing bowl and beat lightly by hand; add milk, wine, chopped green onion, mustard, black pepper and cayenne, beating again until foamy.
- 7Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole; cover tightly with foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- 8The following day, remove dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 10Bake, covered with foil, for approximately 45-50 minutes, until eggs are'set' in the center.
- 11Remove from oven and spread sour cream evenly over the top of the casserole; sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
- 12Return to oven uncovered; bake an additional 10 minutes or so until lightly-browned.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Elegant Brunch Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 658.0
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 296.3 mg
- Sodium 983.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 27.5 g