1/2 Photos of Eight Layer Tortilla Stack
1 hr 50 mins
This is one of my all-time favorite meals. It is originally from Cooking Light magazine. It has been requested many times in my family for special occasions. Yum yum yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped bell peppers (any color)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups tomato juice (no-salt added)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, chiles, cilantro, oregano, chili powder & cumin. Saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato juice and cook until thick, about 8 minutes.
- 2Divide vegetable mixture in half, combining black beans with one half and white beans with the other half. Mix well and set both aside.
- 3Mix cheeses together and set aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 5Line a 9-inch pie plate with foil, allowing 6 inches of foil to extend over opposite edges of the plate. Repeat with another sheet of foil, crossing over the plate opposite the first piece. Coat foil generously with cooking spray.
- 6Place 1 tortilla in the bottom of baking dish.
- 7Spread 1 cup white bean mixture over tortilla; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with tortilla, pressing gently.
- 8Spread 1 cup black bean mixture over second tortilla; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with tortilla, pressing gently.
- 9Repeat until all tortillas, filling and cheese is used up, ending with cheese.
- 10Bring the edges of the foil up to center, folding to seal.
- 11Bake for 40 minutes; let stand out of oven for 10 minutes before unwrapping. Remove foil packet from pan; unwrap. Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eight Layer Tortilla Stack
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.9
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.2 mg
- Sodium 700.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 27.6 g