Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
After trying & studying several recipes for Egyptian breads I developed this version which is a combination of a few key elements of all the recipes, plus my spin as well. We thought these breads were a little dense for our taste so I don't think I'm done tweaking it quite yet. If you try it and have any suggestions please feel free to note them in your review. :)
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- Sift together the flour and salt and mix the yeast and water.
- Work the mixture into a dough and knead for several minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll into balls.
- With either your hand or a rolling pin, pat and press each ball of dough into a 5-inch circle about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until the pita are light golden brown.