Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is like an Egyptian chili, sort of. It is often found served by street vendors. I added more sauce and cilantro.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Place lentils in saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer on low for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- While lentils are cooking, cook white rice in 2 cups of water, or according to package directions.
- Also, cook orzo in until al dente.
- Drain excess water from lentils, rice and orzo.
- Combine lentils, rice and orzo in large pot.
- Saute onions and garlic in pan in olive oil until browned.
- Add tomato sauce to onions and garlic and heat until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add pepper and salt.
- Place a serving of lentil mixture on a plate and cover with sauce. Sprinkle red pepper and chopped cilantro on top and serve.